Friday, February 5, 2010

How Come My Eyelashes Don't Look Like That?!

Ok so I'm sure all of you have seen the bizillions of mascara commercials on TV - especially on TLC and channels geared towards women. The models all have perfectly long, and volumized lashes with no clumps or smudges. And of course there are a million different kinds out there to choose from. Over the past year, I'm also sure you've noticed that the eyelashes on celebrities have become SIGNIFICANTLY larger as well. Of course most celebrities have teams of people working on them, and their own make-up artist to spend hours gluing their eyelashes on beautifully and perfectly each and every day. After having a few Halloweens where I attempted to glue on false eyelashes and getting glue in my eye, on my contacts, glued my eye shut, etc., I decided that this probably wasn't the best way for me to go.

Seeing all the commercials on TV for all these innovative mascaras, I decided to try to find the one that would make my lashes just as amazing as the celebrities - without the falsies. I first fell for the one with the vibrating wand. It looked so easy on TV and the model's eyelashes looked so FAB! So I spent the $10 on it and tried it out. Of course only to find that it did the exact same thing as my old mascara and I was $10 poorer. Not to mention the vibrating thing sort of wigs me out a bit. Same with the vibrating razor - don't waste your money on that one either.

Then I saw a commercial by Rimmel for mascara called "ultimate" that was supposed to make your eyelashes look just like the falsies - well that's what the packaging said anyway. Apparently the "secret" was in the type of brush. I have never bought Rimmel before I decided I would try it out. Only to spend another $10 for a mascara that once again made no noticeable difference. Flush that $10 down the toilet.

I then decided that it wasn't a mascara that was going to make my lashes long and voluptuous, they key was the lash curler. So I went to Sephoria to look for a good one - only to find that they were anywhere from $20-30 and you could get the same exact thing at Target for $3. So off to Target I went and got a new one to try out. Yes, it did make my lashes longer - but it only lasted a few minutes and then they were right back to normal.

Then last week I was getting my hair done and asked the make-up artist for the salon what she would recommend. She told me about Maybeline Stiletto mascara and said it worked great for just about everyone. So off to Target I went again to spend yet another $10. I do have to say that it did make my lashes longer and seemed to work a bit better than my old mascara. But the jury is still out on that one if it was a good use of my $10 yet or not.

So what does all this mean?? It means ladies, don't fall for all the ads telling us that we can get the same lashes as the celebrities simply by using their mascara! Believe me - it will save you about $50 and 10 trips to Target! May as well just face it - our lashes will never look like that!!

No comments:

Post a Comment