Sunday, February 7, 2010

Reality Bites

While growing up, the movies were a place that we always went to escape reality. And as we got older (especially into our teenage years), we would always choose the romantic movies where the main characters would go through many trial and tribulations, but in the end, true love prevailed and all was right with the world.

In the romantic dramas and comedies, the story was always pretty much the same - guy meets girl. It takes half the movie for them to realize they should be together, they finally get together, they fight, break up, and then get back together for good at the climax of the movie. And it ends showing that they live happily ever after, holding hands forever in the sunset. There's something to be said about my favorite movie of all time being "Shakespeare in Love"!

As we get older at some point, we get a reality bitch slap to discover that this isn't how things really work in the real world and love is nothing like it is portrayed in the movies. We often find out the harsh way that there is no man out there would would ever do some of those romantic things in real life either (like write about "our love" in a notebook or save our lives from a sinking ocean liner). I remember seeing some of these movies again when I was older, and thinking that people making these movies are living in a fantasy land, and wondering if anyone was ever actually going to make a real movie that portrays real life?

Well, these past year, Hollywood must have heard me. I love dark comedies, but have noticed an abundance of more darker romantic comedies coming out. And now I've had the reality bitch slap of the fact that they portray real life almost TOO much! Talk about depressing! Did anyone see "500 Days of Summer"? Looked great in the previews, but after watching it (by myself) I wanted to jump off a bridge. Not to spoil anything, but at the end, I left with the feeling that there was no such thing as real love. At the beginning of the movie, the narrator actually says "This is a story of boy meets girl. But you should know up front, this is not a love story." I should have taken the hint then and shut it off...

Then this past weekend we went to see "Up in the Air" which got excellent ratings and is nominated for Best Picture at this year's Oscars. I mean who doesn't want to see George Clooney in action? It was a good movie, however, talk about harsh reality!! Not to spoil again, but takes him forever to realize he actually feels love for someone only to have it all blow up in his face. Once again I left the theater feeling depressed! (This time Dan was there from preventing me from jumping off the bridge - HA!).

So needless to say, I want my "Happily Ever After" back! I want to leave a romantic movie with that good feeling that there is such thing as real love and it can conquer all! Maybe that's the aspirational part of me that I only knew growing up? I have enough harsh reality in my everyday life, thanks.

All that being said, anyone want to go see "Valentine's Day" with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment